Saturday, August 6, 2022

THE FIRE



Years ago I had a friend who rode his motorcycle
home through the rain from two counties over.
Something happened during that ride and he was
not able to start the motorcycle again.

I was wanting to make a motorcycle up for long
distance touring.  So, I bought the motorcycle off
of him.

What got me in trouble was that he, myself and 
another fellow or two got together one night a 
week to have a meal together and talk motorcycles.
So, "pride" took over in me.  I wanted to be able
the next time we got together to just casually say,
"Oh yaw, I got it started.", or some such remark.

Because of my extreme desire to start it where he
had not been able to, I got over zealous with the 
starting fluid.  That made it backfire and start a fire
in number one carburetor which of course was
 under the gas tank about half full of gas.

By instinct I started trying to beat the fire out 
with a shop rag in my hand and especially to keep
the fire off of the gas tank.  That was not working.
In years past as an auto mechanic I had simply
blown out fires in carburetors when an engine
would back fire with the air cleaner off. You 
had to blow real hard, but it worked most times.
But this time - it only singed my eye brows.

Back to beating the fire with a rag.  I finally 
spotted my fire extinguisher.  I grabbed the
fire extinguisher, pulled the pin and pulled the
trigger.  NOTHING.  The fire extinguisher had
simply sit around too many years and lost it's
pressure.

Back to beating again I begin to consider simply
pushing the motorcycle out of the shop and let it
burn up.  But, my car was sitting just outside of the
shop door.  And if I pushed it past the car and over 
the drive way it would be close to the house.

As an old man I was getting very tire of beating
at the fire and not knowing what to do.  So I simply
cried out loud enough they could hear me in heave
above,  "JESUS HELP ME."

I no more than got the prayer out of my mouth and
the fire went out with out me doing a thing.

THANK YOU JESUS.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment