Sunday, January 20, 2019

THE LOW WATER BRIDGE

In my lifetime I have lived in about four different
States.  But the one I live in now is the only one 
that has "low water bridges" that I know about.

A lot of these back roads cross creeks.  So, they
put in a "low water bridge" like the one below.
This one is crossing "clear creek" near Clifty,
Arkansas.  I cross this one often going to my 
"hide out" about fifteen minutes from Clifty.

You may not have noticed, but you have to be
careful crossing these bridges or you will not 
make it to the other side.



One morning after a good nights rain I was going
over to my "hide out" on my motorcycle.   In this
area after a rain like that it often is real foggy the 
next day until about mid morning when the fog will
finally life.

Those of you who ride motorcycles will understand
the next problem.  When riding in foggy conditions
your windshield wipers will not work on a motorcycle.
So, your glove on your left hand becomes your wind-
shield wiper.  Every little bit you reach up with your 
left glove and wipe the fog off of your visor so you
can see where you are going.

This particular morning I knew I was getting close
to the creek when suddenly the road completely
disappeared.  I could not see anything to ride on.
So I parked the bike and took a good look.  The 
fog had hid the low water bridge which was 
completely covered with water.  So after carefully
aiming the motorcycle I rode across with about three
or four inches of water coming over the top of
the bridge.

The image below is the same day after the fog 
lifted and I was on my way home.



I have to thank God often for keeping this old man
out of trouble.  And this was one of those times.






No comments:

Post a Comment